Monday, March 07, 2005

TV Off Your Radio.....

'Tis a sad day indeed.

The news broke earlier today of the passing of one of the defining Radio DJ's of the short history of modern broadcasting.

This was a man I grew up with. Listening to The Friday Rock Show, with it's signature tune by Van Der Graaf Generator, of all bands!

(Or so I was told! In fact, the clip I've linked to there is by a band called Dixie Dregs and not VDGG...I'd need someone in the know to confirm I'm right here - that it is indeed a VDGG tune! I'm counting on you, Professor!!)

I used to have a worn out C120 cassette which I used to record the whole two-hour show, every week.

I cannot even begin to estimate how many albums I went out and ordered through our local record shop because of something I'd heard on The Friday Rock Show. I still have about a hundred live concert broadcasts from this show.

A young, enquisitive musical mind was honed and enlightened by this man, and his talents.


Thank you, Tommy Vance.

For those about to rock, I salute thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.