Sunday, July 11, 2004

The Things People Do….

On the short 10 minute walk to my place of employment my route takes me past the local Duck Pond and across the river. On a good day it’s a lovely wee walk, but on a bad day it's like traversing a wind tunnel.

The duck pond usually has some kids and mothers feeding the ducks (and those damnable scavenging scorries (known by TC as 'Shite-Hawks'!). In the middle of the pond there is a wee island where the ducks rest at night, safe from most predators. It's a nice little environment for them, I suppose.

The regular high winds had taken their toll on the withered old trees on this little island to the extent that one or two of them were in danger of falling over, so the Council drained the pond and set about cutting these trees down.

When they were done, and to save them from disposing of all these dead branches, they piled them all up on the side and hastily scrawled - 'Please Take Free Firewood' - on an old square bit of hardboard as a sign.

I noticed this on the way to work one morning.

On the way back home at night, I wasn't surprised to see that the wood-pile hadn't been touched but - *Shockeroonie* - someone had taken the hardboard sign!



*I am currently writing up an extensive résumé of some of the characters I am liable to write about, just to help you see the picture, so to speak! This may take a while, but won't interfere with normal postings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.