Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Pay As You Go...?

So, Alastair Darling announces plans to charge drivers £1.34 per mile to use our motorways?

Who on earth ever thought this would be a good idea? Was this put to a referendum, so we could voice our concerns? Nope. Nada. Nicht.

Whatever happened to Democracy?

The only saving grace (for me) is that roads up here in the Highlands of Sunny Scotland are liable to be rated at about 2 pence per mile. Not that it bothers me as I don't drive (but The Wife does...)

The more I think about it, the more I reckon it's all a con by the Government.

1. Tell everyone that it'll cost £1.34 per mile.

2. After everyone uniformally complains, Mr Darling then announces "Major Reform" of his PaYG plan, and changes the prices to 40 pence a mile.

3. Everyone breathes a collective sigh of relief - "Whew, we showed them there, didn't we" - meanwhile, the Transport Secretary is laughing up his sleeve at getting his evil, nefarious plan through the statute books.


It's so not right that I would even consider saying that it's wrong....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.